Jukebox Jewels: From the Airport

This summer, spend some time out on a warm, dry evening to take a walk around town. It can be as long as you like, and as far away from your house as you’d like. But walk without music, and without talking. Walk slowly and leisurely as you breathe in the scene around you: the sounds, the lights, the way that countless individuals’ lives intertwine and create the beauty that we call life. The emotions that you will experience that night will be akin to that of listening to “Wash Away” by From the Airport.

From the Airport was founded in 2012 by members Milo and Zee. Having discovered a mutual taste in music after meeting at a mutual friend’s studio, the two immediately went on to produce their debut single “Colors” just months later. Much like Remnants of the Fallen, From the Airport opted to advertise themselves overseas before seeking an audience within Korea. Milo and Zee signed with their current label Fluxus Music only after beating Daft Punk on American music chart Indie Shuffle for half a day with their third single “Timeines.” Up until their 2015 studio album “You Could Imagine,” the electronica duo’s lyrics were completely written in English.

In an age of mass-produced music, From the Airport embodies its indie roots by underscoring its members’ originality. From conception to production, each step of the duo’s discography is written, recorded, and produced by both members. As a former guitarist of a progressive metal band, Milo takes care of the guitar and bass. Former producer and K-Pop composer Zee customarily takes charge of DJing and the drums. Together, they handle vocals, synthesizers, and production of recorded materials. Since their 2012 debut, Milo and Zee have assumed control of everything from composing their own music to directing their own music videos.

Despite being a self-described electronica band, From the Airport has a wide range of genres that it covers. Picks such as “Go or Die” (from their studio album “You Could Imagine”) and “Flying Walls” clearly swing towards electronic pop, while others such as “Black Skies” (from their “Chemical Love” EP) lean towards progressive rock. Spanning a diverse range of genres, each From the Airport song has its own psychedelic, otherworldly atmosphere that gives its audience the distinct feeling of being detached from reality.

But in all seriousness, do go on that walk. Take that time, however short, to reflect upon the lengths you have come and the heights you have reached. Close the SAT prep book for an hour or two and clear your mind from the barrage of applications you will begin to deal with over the summer. Remember, the future is out there. Even if you take a small break in between, it will always be there for you. Immerse yourself in what makes you happy, whether it be Viva La Union’s mellow ballads or From the Airport’s enthusiastic electronica. Find From the Airport on Genie, Bugs, and YouTube.