April News Briefs

SIS History Club sweeps History Bowl

On April 13, the History Club visited SFS to compete in the History Bee & Bowl competition and came away with many awards. Throughout the History Bowl, the SIS team remained undefeated and earned 1st place at the competition. In addition, Edward Lee (10) and Ryan Kim (11) placed 1st and 3rd respectively in the individual History Bee.

“I am extremely proud of our club’s achievements at the history bowl,” said Jinha Kim (10), History Club public relations officer. “Going undefeated was no easy task, and all the hours that we had invested into preparing for the competition really showed. I look forward to deepening my understanding of history as I prepare for more history bowls in the future.”

HFH hosts annual fashion show

On April 10, the Habitat for Humanity (HFH) club hosted its annual fashion show in the auditorium during activity period. Featuring student models wearing clothes designed and created by their peers, the event was able to both showcase the creativity of the student body while also raising funds for a noble cause. For the first time, the event was opened up to a non-high school audience, with the club inviting 70 middle school students to watch the performance. A HFH Korea representative also visited to thank the club for its donation.

“I believe that the fashion show was a strong representation of our student body as global citizens,” says Michael Jo (11), HFH executive trip coordinator. “It was great not only to see our donation go to a good cause, but also the enrichment of younger students at SIS. Hopefully, they will be inspired to contribute and give back to their communities in some way, even if it is not through HFH.”

HSSC raises school spirit with spirit week

From April 1-5, the HSSC held its second spirit week of the 2018-19 school year. With a greater emphasis on incorporating timely events around the school, such as April Fool’s Day or the pep rally, the HSSC attempted to create an engaging week for students. Highlights of the week included students coming to school in their sleepwear on Pajama Tuesday and a dance by the HSSC during the pep rally on Spirit Wednesday.

“The main purpose of the dance by the HSSC was to bring an original element to the pep rally that would foster school spirit while also making the event more entertaining for students to watch,” said Kendall Sadler, HSSC advisor. “The dance encouraged the student body to step out of their comfort zone and become more active members of the pep rally, and as student-leaders, I think that the HSSC officers did a good job of putting themselves out there and enjoying the moment, so hopefully more students will do the same.”