Dance Club performs at annual dance showoff

A week before the dance showcase, the Dance Club, also known as GG Crew, met in the fitness gym for two hours everyday after school. Hosted by Dancers Anonymous Leadership (DAL)nd Joe Hion, the captain of DAL, the Dance Showcase called “The Beginning” took place on Feb. 26. Participants in this particular dance showcase included dancers from six different schools—Gyeong-gi Suwon International School, Chadwick International School, Taejon Christian International School, SIS and Cheongna Dalton School.

“Although I do not consider myself a dancer, when I was asked to host this event, I thought it would be fun so I took a chance,” Joe said. “This showcase was held to enable international schools students and dance groups from all over South Korea to display their dancing skills. I was glad to see that the dancers from SFS performed better than they did in their practices.”

GG Crew originally planned to perform a mixture of three different songs to perform in the Rob Hall: Born Hater by Epik High, Fame by Naturi Naughton and Thinking Out Loud by Ed Sheeran. However, because GG Crew was later informed that the original songs could not be played on stage, the GG Crew members were required to change their songs last minute to instrumental versions.

“I think that this will be a good opportunity to showcase all that we have been practicing for,” said Ellie Kim (10), member of Dance Club. “This is my dream come true since I have been envisioning performing to a larger group of people than students and teachers at SIS. Through this experience I hope to learn to grow bigger as a dancer.”

Even though DAL started off as a school club, DAL members now strive to bring all the international school dancers together. They hope to have a mixture of girl and guy dancers performing to various songs ranging from jazz music, club music and hip-hop.