Soo Min’s Search for Stars!

Hi everyone,

Time seems to fly even when you’re not having fun; it’s already May! Amidst all the tests and projects, warmer weather has arrived and, unfortunately, so has the inevitable end of Search for Stars. To mark the occasion, I decided to put a little twist to this month’s issue — an ultimate ranking of five notable songs covered in previous Search for Stars articles.

Stop your studying for just a few minutes, take a deep breath, and relax.

(The following is ranked from worst to best.)

1. How Bad Do You Want It – Sevyn Streeter

Rank: 3/5 stars

The fast-paced beat from the very beginning that carries in well into the song creates an upbeat ambiance perfect for those needing a mood booster. Though it’s part of the soundtrack for the popular movie “Furious 7”, this song is very underrated — more the reason why to check it out!

1. Winter Things – Ariana Grande

Rank: 3.5/5 stars

I know, I know. This is a song released in time for the Christmas season, hence the name. However, the laidback beat of the song the simple ukulele chords create in the background make it perfect for any season. For those searching for a way to express your feelings to your loved ones, try listening to this song.

1. No Promises – Cheat Codes (feat. Demi Lovato)

Rank: 4/5 stars

The variety of sounds with echos in the beginning imitate the sounds we hear in seashells, making the song perfect for the upcoming summertime. Not only so, Demi Lovato’s husky voice and the distinctive beat complement each other perfectly, especially when momentum is built for the unforgettable bass drop that soon follows. A must-listen song for those who can’t wait for the summer!

1. In the Dark – Camila Cabello

Rank: 4.5/5 stars

This is one of my favorite songs for two reasons. First, the simplicity of the tune allows Camila Cabello to really showcase her musical talent, and second, the song delivers a powerful message about importance of being unafraid to be oneself. The most repeated line throughout the song is “who are you in the dark?” and that one question itself is enough for listeners to realize the priceless value of individuality.

1. Good News – Ocean Park Standoff

Rank: 5/5 stars

The perfect song to end both this list and the era of Search for Stars! From the beginning, the song is different — basic piano chords and unique electronic beats intertwine seamlessly with one another, creating a tune that is unique and unlike any other. However, the best part of the song is its chorus. The melody in the background speeds up and transitions into a more energetic tune as the singer Ethan Thompson wishes for good news because he “feels like the world’s gone crazy.” His hopes for good news is relatable to all of us students, especially during this time of year with upcoming SAT and AP tests, so for those looking for a positivity boost, this song is a must for you!

That wraps up my final review and recommendation of songs for Search for Stars and Tiger Times!

Soomin Chun (12) and I first started this column back in our sophomore year because we wanted to share our love for music with the world. Two years later, I still have the same mindset, and I hope many of you were able to discover a new love for different genres of music through our countless number of recommendations.

It was an honor writing for this column; I enjoyed every moment of it. Thank you for joining this journey to the musical galaxy, and never stop searching for stars. 🙂

Sincerely,

Soo Min Lee