What change means to us

From new couches to club funding, SIS has been on a valiant mission to engage with students in ways long overdue. While any change faces its fair share of backlash and complaint, the recent modifications made to the social, extracurricular, and academic aspects of student life at SIS all seem to point to a thoughtful attempt by the Leadership Team to implement meaningful reformation for student well-being. It is evident and clear that these improvements have moved the student body and administration closer together, with the school environment being bolstered by a passion for unity and collaboration. For the first time in recent memory, student voice is alive and well at SIS.

Specifically, with the cancellation of Family Fun Day this school year, students have been able to work on innovative alternatives such as the NHS Senior Send-Off and the HSSC E-Sports Tournament. Students were clearly disappointed with the news of its cancellation, but soon got on their feet to find creative solutions within their own circles of influence. This is an unintended positive consequence to an otherwise unfortunate situation; students and adults working together in original ways to solve difficult problems. Such modifications to the school’s tradition have encouraged all of SIS’ stakeholders to work together, which promotes harmony that has been increasing over the past few months.

Additionally, with the school dedicating funds to back reasonable club initiatives, students have been able to pursue many more projects than in previous years. In the wake of turbulent times, this new era of cooperation and systemic change have been unprecedented. For example, the student council has been able to organize school events without financial burden due to the adminstration’s contribution. Prom and Snowball, two events that are a traditional part of the student experience, have been tailored to the student body’s needs in a more effective manner.

In a direct response to a series of Tiger Times articles and HSSC planning, the addition of new couches around the school has added comfortable spaces for students to study and engage collaboratively with one another. This acknowledgment of student voice and choice is a great sign for the future.

Changes have also been initiated in the realm of academics. Namely, a new policy that is to be instated from next year potentially removes the retake opportunity for AP classes, and also removes the existing curve for the English department. Previously, a 6/10 would constitute an 85 in accordance with the English department curve. This is a potential change that will get students’ attention. Yet with a renewed appreciation for student voice in the school improvement process, they can be assured that their voice will be heard as it pertains to difficult but potentially positive changes going forward.