Netflix’s ‘Squid Game: The Challenge’ sparks controversy

%28Source%3A+Netflix%29
(Source: Netflix)

Netflix released a new reality TV series, “Squid Game: The Challenge” on Nov. 22. The show has simulated the original 2021 South Korean thriller show, “Squid Game,” receiving mixed feedback.

“Squid Game: The Challenge,” has 10 episodes and was filmed in the United Kingdom. 456 contestants came from all over America to compete for the grand prize of 4.56 million dollars, standing as the largest cash prize in Netflix’s reality television history. The show consists of games from the original show such as the red light green light, tug-of-war, and dalgona challenge, alongside other games. 

Filming for the show began in January this year, and controversy immediately ensued. At the time, temperatures in the United Kingdom were especially low and several contestants claimed that they had to combat the cold weather while participating in the first game of Red Light, Green Light. In the show, the game was made to look like five minutes, but contestants reported that the challenge took at least eight hours, with the doll turning at every 30-minute interval.

Even more, the contestants were pressured into taking off their jackets so their tracksuits would be shown and had their hand warmers taken away. The freezing conditions resulted in at least 10 people collapsing, with medics rushing to their aid. Still, other contestants were not allowed to move because the red light, green light game was still in motion.

“While watching the show, I didn’t notice anything strange at first because the first challenge seemed pretty short,” Seungmin Jeong (10), an SIS student show enthusiast, said. “Now that the players are speaking up on social media about how miserable the first game actually was, I was shocked.”

Not only were filming conditions harsh, but several contestants have reported that they witnessed players being pre-selected. Only some players had mics attached and cameras directed towards them. 

Several out of the eliminated contestants are seeking legal advice in an attempt to sue Netflix and the production company Studio Lambert on the grounds of neglecting safety. Former contestants who are suing stated that they suffered several injuries including hypothermia and nerve damage from the unmanaged set.

The audience’s mixed feedback was polarized: People either loved the show or extremely disliked it. Those who loved it, praised how realistic the game felt, despite being a reality TV show. The audience believed that the desperation of each player to win the grand prize was very entertaining. 

“I watched ‘Squid Game: The Challenge,’ up until the second episode,” Danwoo Kim (10), an SIS student who likes “Squid Game: The Challenge.” “Surprisingly, it wasn’t bad and I quite enjoyed it. Although it did seem rather dramatic at times, it added to the entertainment.” 

On the other hand, critics stated that  “Squid Game: The Challenge,” failed to live up to the original South Korean drama, including forced dramatic scenes. Players were eliminated with an ink packet, also known as a squib, that burst to emulate being shot.

“I understand that the purpose of creating the show was to make an adaption of the iconic South Korean ‘Squid Game,’ but I don’t think that the producers achieved that,” Celine Yang (11), a SIS student who disliked the show, said. “I could not continue past the first episode because it was somewhat of a disappointment, as it did not live up to the original ‘Squid Game.’”