SIS holds its annual Forensics, Music, and Drama awards ceremony

On May 2, SIS held its annual Forensics, Music, and Drama Spring Awards ceremony, during which nine high school students were recognized as recipients of either the Coach’s Choice or Director’s Choice awards. 

The ceremony began with a warm welcome from Jonathan Ames, SIS activities director, who praised the hard work and accomplishments of the participants in the Forensics, Music, and Drama departments. 

Awards for Forensics were the first to be announced. Amidst another year of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Forensics team had a successful run, participating in a total of four virtual KAIAC tournaments and finishing 2nd overall at finals. Jason Lee (9), Sarah Ju (12), and Angela Kim (12) received the Coach’s Choice award. 

Drama awards were announced after a brief remark from Shane Meiklejohn, drama director. Although the Drama department was unable to carry out as many performances as before due to COVID-19, it had two successful performances this school year. Jane Kim (12), Justin Seo (12), and Jaehyun Lim (12) received the Director’s Choice award.

The High School Orchestra (HSO), which practiced every Monday after school, had a successful year, finishing strong at the 2022 HSO Springs Concert, which was its first live audience performance in more than two years. At the KAIAC Large Group Orchestra Festival, the HSO received the  Platinum Award. In the Spring Awards Ceremony, the music department recognized Jay Park (11) as the recipient of the Director’s Choice award. 

“I think the Strings had a successful year because we were able to have a live concert that we did not have for years,” Jay said. “In the years before, we could not have live concerts, so we always had to record our performances and send them to other schools. I think this was a special year for both HS Strings and Orchestra as both received the highest award, which was one of our greatest achievements at KAIAC.”

Members of the high school Choir participated in two concerts this year. Kanghoon Park (12) received the Director’s Choice Award.

Despite setbacks due to COVID-19, the band ensemble was able to push through the year with strong showings at performances. This year, the band participated in the Winter, Spring, and POPS concerts and received the Platinum award in KAIAC. 

“Disregarding awards, I think our band this year went pretty smoothly like any of the other years,” Ryan Jung (10), Director’s Choice award recipient, said. Our band was very successful considering how badly we were isolated from each other due to COVID-19. Our band received the highest award in the KAIAC large band ensemble and was the only high school to receive the Platinum award. When I heard I had been selected as the recipient of the Director’s Choice award, I was very happy but also surprised as there were several other very hardworking band peers who were just as qualified.”