High School Orchestra auditions take place

Joseph Lim (9) auditions for HSO

From Aug. 21-24, High School Orchestra (HSO) auditions were held for wind and string instrument players. Results were posted on Aug. 25, with the classes starting on Aug. 28.

The audition required students to prepare for two songs and scales: Dvorak Symphony No. 9 fourth movement and Coming of Age by John Whitney. The sheet music was released on the HSO website just before summer break, with audition sign-ups opening until Aug. 18.

“I feel like this year’s piece was more challenging than last year’s,” Jeffrey You (12), bass clarinet auditioner and HSO student, said. “Despite the difficulty, Dvorak’s Symphony No. 9 is a really famous piece, so it was enjoyable to prepare. I look forward to HSO this year.”

During the audition, Michael Ganus and Julia Kim, directors of HSO, respectively told wind and string instrument students to play a selection of excerpts from the sheet music.  String students applying for leadership positions must also sight read a short excerpt and be interviewed by the directors.

A total of 58 students were selected for HSO: 34 strings, 19 wind, and five percussion players. Compared to last year’s 62 students, HSO is a bit smaller this year, and the winds section is missing Trombone and Euphonium players, as fewer brass players auditioned for HSO.

“I expected students to come in prepared; many students were well prepared, but a few were not,” Mr. Ganus said. “For HSO, I expect students to maintain high standards throughout the year, and even grow as part of an ensemble.”

Future rehearsals continue every Monday after school. Students will be expected to perform for the High School Winter and Spring concerts, as well as the KAIAC Large Group Festival.