Rupert Murdoch steps down from Fox

Source%3A+Reuters
Source: Reuters

On Sep 21, Rupert Murdoch announced that he would step down as chairman of Fox Corporation and Executive Chairman of News Corp. Murdoch informed his colleagues through a letter, noting that he was in good health and that Lachlan Murdoch, his son, would become the sole chairman for both corporations. This announcement was shocking as Murdoch had repeatedly expressed that he had no intentions of stepping down. Additionally, Murdoch has indicated that he will continue to be part of the corporation through a new role that has not been specified.

“Despite Rupert Murdoch stepping down, I do not think Fox News will change a lot,” Henry Hatridge (12), an avid news follower, said. “Lachlan Murdoch holds similar ideas to his father in both business and political sense. I think Fox News will continue to thrive.”

Murdoch has for decades had considerable influence in the Republican Party as the leader of Fox and News Corporation, which publishes The Wall Street Journal and the New York Post. He has been a point of controversy due to Fox News’s involvement in conspiracy theories during the COVID-19 pandemic and the 2020 presidential election. 

“I think people try to peg him as an arch neocon, which might be going a little too far,” James Kowalski, AP Capstone teacher, said. “I think Rupert Murdoch is a businessman. I think he saw a business opportunity in an otherwise unexplored conservative medium market and that explains his support for Fox News and its political slant. I think Rupert’s political affiliations have been exaggerated to make a point that may have changed over the years, but I think he is first and foremost a man who is interested in seeing his businesses do well.”

Rupert Murdoch’s decision to step down from his leadership roles at Fox Corporation and News Corp marks the end of an era. His influence, both politically and in the media landscape, has been undeniable. While many speculate about the future direction of Fox News and other Murdoch-owned entities under Lachlan’s leadership, it is clear that the Murdoch legacy will continue to shape the media industry for years to come. Whether viewed as a shrewd businessman or a political influencer, Murdoch’s impact is undeniable. As the media landscape continues to evolve, the Murdoch family’s role in it will undoubtedly remain a topic of discussion and analysis.