Seasons are no longer equally dispersed

Getty Images

Temperatures reached an average high of 24.7 degrees Celsius this summer, with high humidity as the precipitation levels were also up 291.2 mm from the average of 727.3 mm, ranking fifth in history since 1973. 

Such record-breaking climatic conditions are a direct consequence of the human-caused climate crisis of burning fossil fuels. At least 16 people in South Korea, most of whom are among the elderly, have died due to heat-related causes. 

“It was unbearably hot over summer break,” Justin Hong (10), outdoor enthusiast,  said. “It was to the point where I would dread going outside at all.” 

However, along with these concerning temperatures, another consequence of climate change is the unprecedented elongation of summer

Warmer and shorter winters suggest an earlier spring, which may worsen pollination problems. Plants bloom based on the temperature of their environment, yet the animals that contribute to the pollination of such plants are habitual creatures that may take longer to adjust to new seasonal cycles. This discord between the timing of the plants and animals can confuse their reproductive cycles. 

Temperatures are predicted to rise further as most of the major industries in the world, especially the fashion and transportation industries, continue to operate at a higher capacity and burn more fossil fuels. Many are asking if the impacts will be irreversible.