Quiz team victory at YISS: SIS reigns supreme

The SIS Academic Quiz Team (AQT) competed in their second quiz tournament at YISS on the 21st of October. The team put in long hours of preparation, often scheduling multiple practies both in and after school, hoping to avenge the defeat against othe KIS and SFS teams during the first tournament. This time around, SIS AQT competed in the finals, completing the tournament as the runner-up. 

Determined to perform well, the SIS quiz team placed many of their stronger players in the higher teams, creating an imbalance. Yet members performed well despite the team arrangements, showcasing both passion and effort. Even the lowest ranking teams performed admirably well, going toe-to-toe with even the strongest opposing teams fielded by various participating international schools.

“Although there were some issues in balancing some of the lower teams, I think our school teams were generally strong because in every team, each member had their own field of expertise,” Chong Min (10), AQT Team captain, said. “This allowed for a well-rounded team structure”.

The SIS AQT team not only performed well at the tournament, but also enjoyed the process. It was unfortunate that the A Team narrowingly lost the championship game. However, overall, it was an exciting experience to compete, and many credited the organizers of the event for making this possible. 

“I felt that the tournament system and design was very well thought-out and fair,” Donghyun Kim (10), AQT team captain, said. “The fact that a team who went completely undefeated in the tournament got third place overall really serves as a great testimony to the immense work and thought the YISS organizers put into the tournament.”

The tournament was also a moment of growth. Many felt that the tournament helped them find  their strengths and weaknesses in the field, and learned to contribute to the team based on a strong understanding of their strengths.