Disney’s 100th anniversary marks an enduring legacy

Oct. 16 marked 100 years since Walt Disney founded The Walt Disney Company. 

To commemorate its 100th anniversary, Disney Plus released a special film “Once Upon A Studio” on its anniversary. The short film is a reunion of the beloved Disney characters throughout the history of Disney. It expresses appreciation for Walt Disney and the people who have grown with The Walt Disney Company. The highly anticipated film brought back nostalgic memories for the fans. 

Disneyland also prepared events for its centenary celebration including limited-time merchandise, special food offerings, and various shows that tell Disney’s story throughout the 100 years. Disney brought back the nighttime extravaganza “World of Color – ONE” which tells the story of a lasting legacy begun by Walt Disney and the projection show “Wondrous Journey” with fireworks. These events moved many Disney fans, sending on a nostalgic time travel through storytelling and the musical. 

Since Oct. 16, Disney has lived up to the slogan, “Where Dreams Come True.” Disney characters continue to symbolize happiness, childhood memories, and joy for people regardless of age and gender.  

“Disney’s 100th anniversary is special to me because I grew up watching Disney and it was basically my whole childhood,” Adelyn Yim (10), a Disney fan said. “I’ve always loved the films and shows and it’s nostalgic to look back on all the characters from the past century that I’ve grown up on.” 

Since its inception, Disney has also inspired many fans to explore new fields of interest. 

“Disney’s 100th anniversary and Disney in general is so special to me mostly because I grew up with its movies and it shaped me as a person,” Haven Cha (10), “The Addams Family” actor and art student, said. “If not for Disney, I don’t think I would be this into art, musicals, animation, and stories in general. I love how it unites everyone because most people watched Disney movies as a child and I especially love how even non-children can enjoy their movies.”