James Harden traded to L.A. Clippers

Image+Source%3A+The+Messenger+
Image Source: The Messenger

James Harden, star guard for the Philadelphia 76ers, was traded in a package deal to the L.A. Clippers on Nov. 1. In the trade, the Philadelphia 76ers received Nicolas Batum, Marcus Morris, Robert Covington, and KJ Martin, along with draft picks. On the other hand, the L.A. Clippers received James Harden, P.J. Tucker, and Filip Petrusev. 

Prior to the trade, the relationship between the 76ers organization and Harden had been questionable as the 10-time all-star asked for a trade during the preseason. As a result of these tensions, the 76ers didn’t play Harden in any of the regular season games, and with such tensions, many fans anticipated a trade involving Harden. 

However, when the trade occurred, it garnered mixed responses from fans. “I’m not too supportive of this trade,” Andrew Kim (11), varsity basketball player, said. “Certainly James Harden has been a superstar in the past but now he’s moved between three teams in less than three seasons.”

Even more, critics raise concerns about the lack of depth after this trade. The Clippers benefited from several rotational players, who have now been traded, leaving Kahwi, Paul George, and Russel Westbrook in the center lineup. 

Another problem fans brought up was Harden’s attitude regarding team basketball. “I don’t think Harden should have the authority to keep forcing these trades,” Joshua Han (9), JV basketball player, said. “Also, recently it feels like Harden would rather give up on his team than play through hard stretches.”

Despite these concerns, proponents of the trade have been supportive of acquiring Harden, praising his playmaking ability, especially considering his performance playing next to Joel Embiid, a superstar center.

For the 76ers, the overall response from fans has been positive. At the beginning of the season, the team performed well with their young guard Tyrese Maxey stepping up to fill the scoring and playmaking void left by James Harden.