Robotics teams competes in its first match

SIS robotics teams 78984A and 78984B competed at SFS against 24 teams from APIS, Chadwick, KIS, and SFS on Nov. 13. Team A and B placed 5th and 20th respectively.

Team A went up against Chadwick teams 6724E and 6724R for their first match and won 52-44, and went up against KIS team 87546B and SIS Team B and won 80-47. Team B went up against KIS teams 87546C and 87546P for their second match but fell short, losing 52-63.

“I was surprised by the dramatic increase in the quality of the builds compared to last year,” Donghyun Kim (11), Team B Captain, said. “I remember last year when you could sneak your way to a high ranking with a basic robot. That was definitely not the case for today’s tournament. As for Team B’s performance, it was not too great. We had an incident where our code didn’t work properly on our first practice match, and our inexperience made the driver section very challenging.”

The premise of this year’s game is to score as many pyramid-shaped balls, or triballs, under the goal as possible. At the end of each match, each robot’s height off the ground is measured, and additional points are awarded based on which team has the higher height relative to the other robots.

“I think the game is significantly more complex compared to last year,” Tobias Choy (12), Robotics Captain, said. “The triballs are surprisingly hard to work with, especially when trying to push them under the net. And our team has yet to think of how to elevate the robot above the ground, so we have a long way to go before we have a complete robot.”

Unlike past years, SIS is competing this season with two teams: Team A, consisting of Ian Park (12), Tobias Choy (12), Jungwoo Lee (11), Junho Lee (11), and Hyeonhong Chang (10), and Team B, consisting of Donghyun Kim (11), Eunsao Cho (11), Yoon Jin Kang (9), Jihyo Lim (9), Heather So (9), and Eugene Ahn (9). This is a significant increase in members compared to previous years.

The robotics teams’ are scheduled to compete again at SFS on Nov. 29, Jan. 10, Jan. 17, and on Feb. 3 for the KAIAC league.