Fashion trends dominate transition from autumn to winter

Compilation of ’23 fashion trends

From pinstripe blazers to platform two-inch Uggs, new fashion trends have decorated the streets as autumn departs and winter returns. This year, runway brands are embracing easily wearable styles—all while implementing a touch of uniqueness to elevate them from mundane to magazine-worthy. 

“I love that brands are honoring the ‘effortless yet put-together’ look,” Sophia Lim (11), fashion enthusiast, said. “It truly showcases the small touches of individuality brands add to their clothes; for example, Loewe added a chain attaching the hem of an oversized white shirt to a shoulder, making an otherwise boring shirt into one of a kind.” 

Trench coats are a classic layering basic that never ceases to return every year. Chloé’s belted double-breasted wool-blend trench coat has been receiving the attention of many, with its fully lined chic silhouette that allows for smooth layering. 

“Trench coats are so timeless, ” Lucy Jang (11), student fashion analyst, said. “I think people are especially loving them this year with celebrities like Sofia Richie giving rise to the trend of ‘Quiet Luxury’.”

This Autumn, Max Mara is celebrating the tenth anniversary of its Teddy Bear Coat with a new collection called “Teddy Ten.” Amidst fashion icons like Rihanna and Katie Holmes repping the style, it is known as the “it-coat” of autumn and winter and a consistent celebrity wardrobe must-have. Experts claim that its classic design and quality craftsmanship allow it to never go out of style. 

“I saw the new Max Mara Teddy Ten pop-up store at Lotte World Mall, and I instantly fell in love with the coat all over again,” Grace Choi (11), aesthete, said. “The coat’s ability to make anyone feel comfortable and warm yet put-together is truly astonishing.”

Miu Miu’s leather slingback kitten heels have been gaining immense traction, appearing constantly on social media for their distinctive buckled design. The dramatic heels come in black, beige, and red. Top models such as Gigi Hadid have been seen showcasing the look in public paired with a lace mini dress and a vintage leather jacket from Worn Vintage.  

The Ugg boots made a comeback from the 2000s last year, being named “fashion’s hottest new shoe” by Vogue, and have returned to dominate sidewalks again for ‘23 winter. In September last year, Bella Hadid was spotted in the streets of New York City strutting in chunky platform Uggs, igniting a fashion movement for the classic boots. Lyst reports that the style promptly sold out and had a 152% increase in searches. 

This year, Ugg debuted the new 2” Ultra Mini Platform boots—which Ugg calls a “modern interpretation” of their icon. The new platforms were designed to be leg-lengthening, allowing anyone to live, or at least get closer to, their Bella Hadid fantasies. 

Alongside Uggs, leather jackets have also made a loud resurgence, complementing the overall vintage style popularized by the runways of Saint Laurent Fall 2023 and Prada Spring Summer 2022. This includes moto jackets, especially the oversized renditions spotted on Hailey Bieber. Many describe these heavy-duty, sculptural jackets as the “perfect minimalist addition to elevate any outfit.” 

Chief creative officer of Burberry Group Daniel Lee’s “Burberry Blue” has been embraced by the recent Fall/Winter ‘22 Burberry runway, with trench coats, shoes, cardigans, and scarves all made in the iconic color. Daniel Lee’s continuous emphasis on Burberry Blue serves as an effort to rebrand Burberry and characterize the brand as “an exploration of lightness, sensuality, beauty, and elegance.” 

In Seoul, Burberry hosted its first pop-up featuring Lee’s designs in Burberry Blue at Shinsegae Department Store Gangnam. New global brand ambassador Danielle of the Korean girl group New Jeans also attended the launch, further promoting the brand’s new identity. According to the director of buying for fashion Simon Longland, Lee’s debut collection at London’s Harrods has had a “strong” reaction from customers after its successful private preview for top customers.