SIS swim team competes in first meet

Swimmers at SFS

The SIS varsity swimming team traveled to SFS for the first meet of this season on Nov. 15. They were joined by four schools: CDS, SFS, CI, and SIS. 

This meet was especially important as it allowed new swimmers and coaches to adjust to the new season and test different strategies. “We have a lot more swimmers in total compared to last year,” Jane Park (12), girls varsity captain, said. 

The boys team has gained nine new members, representing an increase in interest in swimming across the high school. The girls—even though we have a smaller team than last year—are also very passionate about swimming. 

“The girls team feels relatively weak compared to last year,” Jane Park (12), said. “We lost three talented swimmers last year but we have two new, strong swimmers. So, our team has potential, it’s just that we haven’t had the time to get used to each other and understand how we swim, especially for relays.”

Also, there are new changes to the swim team. Middle school coach Danika Derekson joined as coach for the varsity team, replacing Carly Wessels. The swim team also gained new student leaders with co-captain Eric Cho (11). 

“While I don’t know about the previous years, this team feels very passionate,” Grace Choi (11), first-year swimmer, said. “The team atmosphere is very lively and everyone pushes their limits during practice. Also, the experienced swimmers have helped me and other first-years understand how practice works and what to do.”

Unfortunately, neither team won in their respective matchups. Against CI, the boys lost 28-22 while the girls scores were 55-11. Against SFS, the boys and girls lost 45-23 and 57-9 respectively.