Former First Lady Rosalynn Carter dies at 96

The world mourned the death of the former First Lady Rosalynn Carter, the spouse of the 39th president of the United States, Jimmy Carter, and an active advocate for mental health reform. Carter died at 96 this November 19th with her family by her side at her dwelling in Plains, Georgia.

“Rosalynn Carter was certainly one of the most publicly appreciated First Ladies,” Seungwoo Oh (10), a political columnist, said. “Many of her family friends were globally renowned and influential; this definitely helped her build that persona which resulted in her rise in popularity.”

Carter’s memorial service was a gathering of first ladies, presidents, municipal politicians, kings, queens, corporate leaders, and celebrities. Even Jimmy Carter himself, who is now ten months into home hospice care, attended in a wheelchair. For three days, starting from Nov. 29th, tributes were given in the Carters’ native Sumter County and continued at Glenn Memorial Church in Atlanta.

Though Jimmy Carter didn’t speak at the event, he and his wife shared a private moment before the memorial service.

“I mean the sheer fact that Jimmy Carter showed up means a lot,” Joonho Kim (10), occasional Fox & Friends viewer, said. “Jimmy Carter’s health has deteriorated to the point in which he has to be in a wheelchair at all times, presenting a eulogy would take a big toll on his already poor health.”

Kim went on to say, “Rosalynn Carter’s death was shocking but she was only 96; Jimmy Carter is 99 so there is a fairly big chance that the world is going to see a sequel to this event, all I’m saying is that we shouldn’t big too surprised if this happens in the near future.”

During his presidency, Jimmy Carter was able to establish peace agreements between Israel and Egypt, reorient U.S. foreign policy on human rights, and enact numerous municipal economic policies. Throughout the entire process, Rosalynn Carter was by his side, giving her insight into political matters and other affairs; Carter often lobbied lawmakers, campaigned separately from her husband, and attended international conferences alongside other important cabinet members. Without Rosalynn Carter, the Carter administration could have ended up being very different than it is remembered today.

More than anything, the Carters revolutionized the responsibilities of post-presidents. In collaboration with other notable human rights organizations, Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter founded and led The Carter Center, a nongovernmental Atlanta-based organization devoted to addressing violence, combating disease, and ensuring education.

After Jimmy Carter’s presidency, the couple traveled to impoverished nations all over the world, namely North Korea, Iran, and Venezuela. It is through humanitarian service that Rosalynn Carter first discovered her passion for charity. In her later years, Carter was a fierce advocate for the nation’s mental health dilemma, bringing attention to the tens of millions of unpaid caregivers in U.S. households.

“Charity work has always been a good way for political candidates to garner public affection,” Steve Nave, 9th grade World History teacher and AP Asian History teacher, said.

However, in the case of Jimmy and Rosalynn Carter, who had already served their four years in office, their objectives weren’t re-election for the presidency, but to simply make the world a better place.

Ceremonies aimed to celebrate Carter’s life are expected to take place next week, hosted by none other than the Carter Center. Next Monday, the public will be able to pay its respects to Carter as she lies in her coffin at the Jimmy Carter Presidential Library and Museum.