Who won the Toronto Raptors and New York Knicks trade?

Image Source: The Strickland

On Dec. 30, the Raptors traded OG Anunoby and others to the New York Knicks for a package deal that included RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley, and a 2024 second-round draft pick.

On the Raptors’ part, they lost OG Anunoby, a defensive and three-point specialist who made the NBA All-Defensive Second Team last season, and two role players–Malachi Flynn, and Precious Achiuwa. Analysts, however, have had a positive reception to this trade because the contract with the defensive forward would end after the 2024 season. 

For the Knicks, they are losing two relatively young, scoring guards. While proponents believe that the Knicks lost two 15-point-per-game players for one, others have argued that Annunoby and spot-up shooting fit seamlessly with their current roster. 

“I think Barrett and Quickley all have strong potential but they aren’t necessarily reliable, at least compared to Anunoby,” Celine Yang (11), varsity basketball player, said. “Next to Julius Randle and Jalen Brunson–heavy ball handlers–Barrett and Quickley didn’t get as many opportunities and often missed out, but Annunoby requires less time with the ball to be effective, fitting nicely.”

The New York Knicks’ record after the trade has also supported these claims, winning five of their last games. Still, the trade was beneficial for the Raptors as well. Over the last five games, Quickley and Barrett have been averaging 18.5 points and 24.5 points respectively. Ultimately, many NBA fans have considered this trade a win-win. 

“The Raptors can give Barrett and Quickley more minutes and ball control while the Knicks have been winning more,” Andrew Kim (11), NBA fan, said. “This year, I think the Knicks have the potential to go deep in the playoffs as they’re already the 5th seed. Raptors may not be as good as the Knicks immediately, but it has acquired a strong young core with Quickley and Scottie Barnes, another young star.”