Dog-eating banned in Korea

https%3A%2F%2Fwww.unilad.com%2Fnews%2Fworld-news%2Fsouth-korea-dog-meat-ban-2027-524137-20231117
https://www.unilad.com/news/world-news/south-korea-dog-meat-ban-2027-524137-20231117

On Jan. 9, South Korea’s parliament passed a bill banning the breeding, butcher, and sale of dog meat. The ban passed with 208 votes in support and two abstentions and will be enforced starting in 2027. Violators can face up to three years in prison or a maximum fine of 30 million won.

Despite the lack of reports on this unscrupulous practice occuring, around 1,150 farms continue to breed dogs for meat, while 1,600 restaurants sell dog meat dishes in South Korea today.  

“If I had to speculate as to why such a gruesome practice took place, I would say it was due to an abundance of stray dogs and a lack of food,” Steve Nave, Asian Studies teacher, said. “Now, there are many other food options and dogs have been domesticated. So, just because it is tradition or just because it’s been done before doesn’t mean that it’s something that should continue. I think it is disturbing that there are still that many shops open.”

Indeed, dog meat was popular in South Korea as part of a stew that Koreans would consume to endure the fatigue during hot summers over a millennium ago, since approximately around the Neolithic era. 

Over the years, Koreans have increasingly viewed dogs as domestic pets rather than food. The practice has thus come under criticism in recent decades, with animal rights and international rights activists such as Humane Society International (HSI) working to rescue dogs from South Korean farms and relocating them overseas.

This growing criticism over the consumption of dog meat is in line with the decreasing number of Koreans who take part in dog-eating. A survey by Gallup Korea found that the proportion of Koreans who have eaten dog meat dropped from 27 percent in 2015 to 8 percent in 2022. 

People speculate the bill was implemented due to the affinity the South Korean president has with dogs. President Yoon Suk Yeol and his wife Kim Gun-hi own six pet dogs themselves, with their love for animals is widely known. President Yoon has previously stated that his People Power Party aims to introduce a ban by the end of 2023, which has come to fruition.

“I appreciate the recent ban on the Korean practice of dog eating. I think it is very important to protect animals and it is reassuring to see that Korea is taking small steps to do so,” Sarah Kim (10), dog owner, said. “This action reflects a positive step toward animal welfare and personally, I’m relieved to see it. This not only aligns with my values as a dog owner but also goes with the broader idea about animal treatment in Korea.”

Other than the moral implications of this new ban, as an affluent country, South Korea may be able to gain more 

Despite dog-eating continuously being practiced in areas such as North Korea, China, Vietnam, Indonesia, and several African and American nations, the act of Korea finally banning the practice may be a sign of its growing attention to animal rights.

“I think that it is about time this law has been passed,” Ellen Park (10) said. “I feel like it is pretty well known by now that dogs and our country’s economic situation have evolved to the point where we can live without having to resort to eating them. I just don’t see a reason for people to continue this practice.”