Varsity Golf introduces ‘Tiger Cup’

Unlike other sports teams at SIS, the golf season does not end with the final KAIAC match. Alongside the creation of the Golf Varsity team, the Tiger Cup was introduced as an off-season tournament held amongst Golf Varsity athletes with the goal of constant skill development.

Teachers and varsity athletes are placed into groups of three and then set to compete for the lowest average score. At the end of the tournament, winners are awarded points, which contribute to the Golf Captain selection process and Fall Sports Awards.

Each week, a new golf course is selected and participants are given a week to submit their scores digitally. The Tiger Cup system also encompasses all Golf KAIAC conferences and regular season course outings. This new metric of measurement makes the selection process for the Golf Captain and Fall Season Sports Award recipients directly reflective of accumulated endeavor.

“This new point system that Dr. Nave implemented is certainly an interesting one, it really forces us to keep practicing and polish up our skills,” Joonho Kim (10), golf varsity member, said. “I never heard of an off-season practice session, excluding the occasional open gyms.”

Not only does the Tiger Cup point system consider an individual’s prowess as a golfer, but also as a leader. From attending school events to organizing one, any display of leadership within SIS is awarded anywhere between 20~5 points. Although one’s leadership capabilities have always been a driving factor in sports captain selection, the Tiger Cup is the first to convert it to a numerical value.

“This new point system is making us into more impactful students,” Yool Choi (10), golf varsity member, said. “Being a varsity captain was always bigger than being the best player on the team; this new point system makes that clear for everybody from the get-go and it makes the process incremental.”