Apple halts sale of Apple Watches during holiday season

NPR
AFP via Getty Images
NPR

Apple paused its sales of Apple Watches models both online and offline in December due to a patent dispute with health technology and consumer electronics company Masimo Corporation. 

While many companies were able to boost in holiday season sales, Apple removed their popular holiday gift item from store shelves. The ban took effect on two latest Apple Watch models, Series 9 and Ultra 2. On Dec. 21, online sales were subjected to the ban, while in-store purchases faced restrictions on Dec. 24. However, existing Apple Watches and Apple Watches sold outside of the US were not to be affected according to the US International Trade Commission (ITC) ruling. On Dec. 26, the ban was officially put into effect. 

This abrupt halt was in response to the import ban by the ITC, following the patent infringement allegation by Masimo. Masimo Corporation accused Apple of copying their technology for the blood oxygen sensor used in Apple Watches, which is capable of reading pulse rates. Despite Apple’s repeated denial of this allegation, the company was forced to halt sales just days before Christmas to comply with the ITC ruling. 

Shortly after the ban was put into effect, it was soon temporarily lifted by a US appeals court when Apple won the pause. The decision allowed the Apple Watch sales to resume again both online and offline on Dec. 27. 

The news of the abrupt halt and resumption sparked varied reactions among Apple users and enthusiasts. Many were left puzzled and dispirited. 

“I was not so happy when I heard this news as an iPhone user and a fan of Apple. I always thought that their devices were more trustworthy than those of other companies,” Adelyn Yim (10), Apple user, said. “Although I still hold a neutral stance on this issue, I was surprised that even one of the biggest companies in the world would get into a dispute like this, especially during the Christmas season when sales thrive.”

While some expressed their discontentment, others were indifferent to this dispute, as Apple was frequently involved in such legal disputes.

“I was a bit confused and worried when I heard this news. But at the same time I wasn’t really surprised because Apple faces a lot of these allegations about copying products from different companies.” Julie Koh (10), Apple Watch user, said “I still use a lot of Apple products including the Apple Watch so it really won’t change my perception of Apple as a company.”  

Some, while expressing their indifference, supported Apple, believing that they would return with a better product. 

“As an avid Apple user, I was disappointed by Apple’s approach to the situation,” Jenny Park (10), Apple user said. “However, I don’t think this will affect whether I continue to use Apple products or not because they usually recreate products in their own unique way.” 

Although Apple was able to resume their sales again on Jan. 15, following the introduction of a redesigned Apple Watch that omitted the blood oxygen sensor feature, the ban on previous models continued due to the ongoing lawsuit between the two corporations. The saga of the legal battle is anticipated to persist for an extended period until the case is resolved, which experts believe will take years.