Table ordering system transforms dining culture in Korea

In recent years, Korea has undergone a notable transformation in its dining culture marked by a growing number of restaurants installing online tablet ordering systems.

These devices on the table allow customers to order and pay without the usual face-to-face interaction with a server.  

Amidst the ongoing labor shortage in Korea, these devices have proved to be a success in many restaurants that are short-staffed. The technology has effectively reduced operational costs for restaurants and has boosted customer satisfaction by minimizing missing or incorrect orders and maintaining service punctuality. 

T’order, one of the biggest table ordering platforms, has sold 130,000 units domestically in four years since its establishment. The company’s sales exceeded ₩22 billion in the first half of the year, surpassing the previous year’s figures.

“I saw this device frequently when I was dining out in restaurants,” Dyne Kim (10) said. “It was very convenient for me when I was in a restaurant during busy hours since I didn’t really have to wait for the server to receive the order. So far, I can only see the advantages.” 

As technology evolves rapidly, the table ordering system is going to be a vital part of the dining culture, opening doors to new experiences, shaping the future dining experiences.