UMG removes songs from TikTok

Photo credits: Voice of Nigeria

Universal Music Group (UMG), the largest music company in the world, removed songs from multiple famous artists, including Taylor Swift and Olivia Rodrigo, on Feb. 1. Videos that had used the songs prior to the removal were muted or made unavailable for further use.

This removal came after the expiration of a licensing deal between UMG and TikTok and a dispute over royalties. UMG argued that TikTok was not providing appropriate compensation for its artists and songwriters or prioritizing the safety of artists and online users from the harmful effects of AI. UMG explained that TikTok paid artists for around 1 percent of the total revenue earned from TikTok users, which was considerably less than what other social media platforms pay artists. 

TikTok users can no longer search for music from artists of UMG or find songs on the artist’s profile.

“I think TikTok will become less popular if the songs are not brought back, just because what makes TikTok so popular is the trends and remixes made from these popular songs,” Sarah Kim (10), TikTok user, said. “However, I think that the songs are going to be brought back in some way because the change has already angered many people on TikTok.”

ABC News projects that this change is not likely to last, noting that stand-offs between major corporations are common and often quickly resolved. Some TikTok users and influencers have responded by using copyright-free music or posting videos without sounds for satirical purposes.

“I do not think the song removal will impact TikTok’s popularity because users probably enjoy the app for other things, not just music from UMG,” Robin Ibbotson, media club advisor, said. “There are other music groups and recording labels that have their music available and there will still be things that will go viral and trends that will occur.”