Varsity girls basketball team wins AISA

(Varsity girls at KIS for AISA)

The 2024 Association of International Schools in Asia (AISA) tournament for varsity girls basketball was held in South Korea at KIS from Feb. 2-3. Eight international schools from all across Asia competed against each other in the annual AISA tournament, with the SIS varsity girls basketball team placing first. 

The varsity girls started strong, winning their first game against Senri & Osaka International School (SOIS) 38-34. The win boosted the team’s morale as they continued to win big in their second game of the tournament against Yokohama International School (YIS) 45-24. 

On the second and final day of the AISA tournament, the varsity girls played YIS once more in the semifinals where SIS secured the win 39-23. 

“That game was particularly intense,” Julie Koh (10), varsity girls basketball starter, said. “The tension between both teams was high because we were competing for a spot in the finals to play against SOIS.” 

The final match against SOIS was in the finals where the bleachers were full of spectators rooting and chanting for either team. The varsity girls basketball team held a consistent lead over the SOIS team, never letting their points drop behind their opponent’s. 

When the buzzer hit zero after the last quarter, the SIS girls basketball players and supporters cheered with excitement for their last win of the season–41-35. 

After the game, the varsity girls huddled around Morgan Miller, the varsity girls’ basketball coach, for his final message as a coach. 

“I am very proud because the players worked very hard and sacrificed a lot to win. I was also appreciative of the students who stepped up to help us,” Coach Miller, girls varsity basketball coach, said. “I am going to miss coaching and seeing the growth from sixth grade to senior year. I truly enjoyed teaching and coaching for 8 years and I hope SIS thrives when I am gone.”

View Comments (1)
Christie Hwang
Christie Hwang, Copy Editor
Christie is a sophomore copy editor for Tiger Times. In her leisure time, she enjoys listening to podcasts, binge-watching courtroom dramas, cooking, and baking. She also takes delight in conversations, so feel free to approach her in the hallways!

• B

Bruce Mize | Feb 18, 2024 at 8:46 am

Proud of you all.

Reply