Korea finishes Asian Cup as Semi-Finalists

Source: Al Jazeera

On Feb. 6, Korea lost to Jordan in the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) Asian Cup by 0-2, making it the first loss Korea has ever had against Jordan.

Neither team were able to score during the first half of the game due to the tough defense put up by both teams. Korean goalkeeper Jo Hyeon-woo was able to successfully block four shot attempts by Jordan. While Korea was initially awarded a penalty shot as Yazan Al-Arab was thought to have brought down Seol Young-woo, video footage showed that Seol’s foot was above Al-Arab’s foot, reversing the penalty decision.

During the second half of the game, Jordan pulled ahead with two goals. At the start of the second half, Yazan Al-Naimat scored with a dink over Seol. Mousa Al-Tamari followed through soon after, dribbling past the Korean defenders and scoring. By the end of the game, the Korean team was unable to make any official shots on target.

Many attribute the absence of Kim Min-jae, Korean defender, due to receiving two yellow cards and Coach Jürgen Klinsmann’s lack of strategy to the poor performance of the game. Some are also criticizing the Korean Football Association (KFA) for their decision to hire Klinsmann and are asking to replace him.

“I definitely think Klinsmann is to blame for the loss,” Jeffrey You (12), red devil, said. “He seemingly made no effort in strategizing to win the game, and he was smiling at the end. I would not be surprised if the KFA replaced him with a different coach.”