New sports season begins with changes

With the spring sports season officially starting this week, all spring sports teams–soccer, badminton, and track and field–held tryouts for SIS students from Feb. 13-15. There are changes to each team this season, especially with soccer having new coaches for both the girls and boys team.

The varsity boys soccer team and the varsity badminton team had a large number of students try out. The varsity boys soccer team ended up cutting seven people, and the varsity badminton team, with limited open spots, had numerous cuts on both days of tryouts.

“I have coached the middle school team at SIS for the last two seasons and coached at my previous high school for a year also,” Robin Ibbotson, coach for boys varsity soccer, said. “We are looking for an understanding of the fundamentals of the game and a positive attitude. Being able to respond to feedback and support others is vital for individual growth and the growth of the team as a whole. 

With multiple open spots on the boys soccer team due to senior players graduating last year, many students signed up.

“I was quite nervous when trying out for soccer,” Chris Ahn (9), varsity boys soccer player, said. “This is my first year in high school and I heard that the soccer team will be difficult to get into. I was not sure what the coaches were looking for so I tried my best in all aspects.”

The coaches for the soccer teams have set new goals for this season.

“My first goal is to integrate the team members,” Coach Ibbotson said. “A large number of last season’s team has graduated so getting everyone to get together will be the first obstacle to overcome. There will be a strong focus on developing communication and understanding between the team this season in order to be as effective on the field as possible. Aside from that, winning is my main goal.”

Badminton was a very popular sport for tryouts as well. However, most students who tried out for badminton were unable to make the team.

“Tryouts for this season were more competitive than last year, as eight boys were cut,” Brian Ji (10), badminton player, said. “We have a few changes in our team. For example, I will be competing in singles one this season and there are few shuffles with the events the players are playing for.”

Track and field has also held tryouts this season. Compared to the other teams, track and field tryouts were less competitive.