Three-point face-off: Stephen Curry vs. Sabrina Ionescu

(Source: Getty Images)

At the showdown at the NBA All-Star Weekend, Gold State Warriors champion Stephen Curry faced off against New York Liberty star Sabrina Ionescu in the first-ever NBA vs. WNBA three-point competition. The much-anticipated event lived up to its expectations as both players showcased their shooting abilities, impressing the audience. 

Ionescu started off the competition, going around the three-point line shooting at every designated spot. Ionescu challenged herself by shooting from the official NBA three-point line, which is approximately 12-18 inches farther from the basket than the WNBA line. Sinking shot after shot, Ionescu made 26 three-pointers in one minute and 10 seconds. However, Curry––widely regarded as the greatest shooter of all time––rose to the occasion and surpassed Ionescu’s score with 29 made three-pointers. Curry was rewarded with the winning belt, and the showdown came to a close.

Despite the friendly rivalry between the two, there was mutual respect and admiration, as Ionescu expressed her gratitude for being granted the opportunity to compete against her idol, Stephen Curry. 

“I heard about the three-point competition on social media,” Chloe Yoon (10), an occasional basketball follower, said. “Rather than being a competition, I think it was more of an opportunity to promote gender equality in sports. It was a good idea.”

The event was seen as a progressive step towards gender equality in sports. Reflecting on the event, Curry emphasized the importance of paving the way for future generations of athletes, regardless of gender in any scenario. 

The NBA vs. WNBA three-point battle is now labeled as a milestone in history, the event setting the stage for future collaborations between male and female athletes.