SIS Track and Field team competes in first meet

On March 11, the track and field team traveled down to Humphreys High School for their first meet of the season. They competed against seven other schools: CI, DMHS, HHS, KIS, OMHS, SFS, and YISS.

Many members made PR (personal records) in this meet: 25.67s PR in 200 meters by Danny Gohde (9), 1:00.67 PR in 400m by Paul Moon (12), 2:33.09 PR in 800m by Alex Lee (11), 23.94 meters and 13.83 meters PR in Discus by Won-gyeom Yang (11) and Kate Kim (10) respectively.

“The team looks more promising than ever with some people even breaking previously held school records,” Alex Lee (11), Track and Field team captain, said. “But we were definitely contested heavily by other schools. They have improved a lot since last year as well.”

As the team’s first meet, team members not only gauged their own performance in an official setting, but also gauged how well they fared against other schools. There were 16 new members joining the team, eight of which are freshmen. This meet was especially useful for new members to understand how each event was run.

Despite the meet ending late by an hour, new changes to the timing system reduced delays compared to previous years.

While the final scores put SIS in last place with nine points, the team hopes to improve as the members become more experienced with their respective events.

“I am glad to still see the positive attitude that our members keep by not comparing themselves to others, but trying to improve their own time,” Alex said.