Joe Biden faces criticism for his proclamation on Easter

USA Today

President Joe Biden has been facing criticism from users of social media and Republicans for his proclamation supporting the transgender community on Easter Sunday, with some suggesting that this was a mockery of Christian faith. 

Transgender Day of Visibility, an annual event created by Rachel Crandall Crocker, a transgender activist, has been celebrated on March 31 since 2009, raising awareness on discrimination against the transgender community. This year, this event coincided on Easter Sunday, one of the holiest Christian holidays that celebrate Jesus’ resurrection, as the date falls on different Sundays each year. 

Since he took office in 2021, Biden has consistently issued proclamations for Transgender Day of Visibility, including one on March 29 this year. These proclamations acknowledged the hardships of the challenges faced by the LGBTQ community. 

This sparked backlash from Christians and Republican politicians who argued that this was intended to offend Christians.  

Former president Donald Trump labeled this proclamation as “appalling” and “insulting” and that Biden proclaimed Easter Sunday as Trans Day of Visibility. This statement quickly spread on social media along with the news that Biden banned religious-themed designs at the White House’s Easter events, informing the public that Joe Biden replaced Easter as Transgender Day of Visibility. 

White House responded by disproving the news, emphasizing Biden’s devotion to Christian faith. They also stated that the Biden administration never made any modification to the long-standing rule of White House Easter egg activities.  

“As a Christian who celebrates Easter with family, President Biden stands for bringing people together and upholding the dignity and freedoms of every American,” Andrew Bates, White House spokesperson, said. “Sadly, it’s unsurprising politicians are seeking to divide and weaken our country with cruel, hateful, and dishonest rhetoric. President Biden will never abuse his faith for political purposes or for profit.” 

Many social media users started criticizing for his insensitive statement and claimed that he should have been more careful regarding these topics as Easter remains a big holiday for Christians. However, some said that this was a predictable attack from the Republicans during the presidential election, arguing that the Republicans will attack Biden for any statement he makes. 

“I think Easter is one of the most important holidays for all people, especially meaningful for the Christians,” Haven Cha (10), regular church attendee, said. “I am not really offended, because I don’t think he meant to disrespect the Christians since he is a Christian himself. However, I think Joe Biden should have been more careful when he spoke regarding these sensitive topics.”