Kroos and Reus: One Last Dance at the Champions League Finals

On May 8, Real Madrid beat Bayern Munich 2:1 in the second leg of the UEFA Champions League semifinals, bringing the final score to 4-3 and advancing to the finals. Despite being behind the goal count for majority of the game, Real Madrid’s senior striker Joselu was able to make a last minute double that pushed the team to the finals against German club Borusia Dortmund at at Wembley Stadium in London, England on June 1.

The upcoming finals has gained much attention from football fans around the world as the final will be a meaningful soccer match for many of the players on either sides, mainly Real Madrid’s Tony Kroos and Borusia Dortmund’s Marco Reus.

Tony Kroos, also known as the German Sniper, has recently announced on his social media that he will be retiring from professional football after this final match. Kroos has been playing for Real Madrid since 2014, and has already lifted four Champions League trophies with the team. With such integral player soon retiring, many football fans wish Real Madrid to lift one last trophy with Kroos to thank him for his tremendous dedication and loyalty for the club. Real Madrid has not lost a Champions League final for 39 years, which is why many Real Madrid fans are confident about the upcoming matchup.

On the other hand, Marco Reus has also previously announced on social media that he will be leaving Borusia Dortmund as free agent at the end of this season as his contract expires. Like Kroos, Reus has played for BVB since 2012, and his commitment to the team has brought him a lot of support from German football fans. The opportunity to lift a trophy for Reus is especially meaningful, as he had previously lost against Bayern Munich at the Champions League finals in 2013, while also failing to win the Bundesliga title last year due to a miniscule goal difference with Bayern Munich. With such unlucky history with winning trophies with BVB, this finals may be the first and last international trophy Reus may be able to earn with his club.

“There is no doubt that Real Madrid is one of the strongest teams of the world in this moment, but I would like Dortmund to win,” Tobias Choy (12), football fan, said. “I wish Dortmund would win this, especially for Reus. I think every football fan would want to see Reus leave Dortmund with a trophy.”

The Champions League finals will also be an important match in deciding this year’s Ballon D’or winner. Currently, Vinicius Junior, Real Madrid’s key offensive player, is considered the most likely to win the award due to his amazing season of 23 goals and 11 assists, along with winning the La Liga title and Supercopa de Espana. Following Vinicius as runner up is Jude Bellingham, a new signing to Real Madrid this year, who also boasts 25 goals and 15 assists during his first season with the club. Performance at the approaching finals would greatly impact Ballon D’or rankings and would most likely decide the fate of both Real Madrid players.