January News Briefs

“Parasite” continues making history at SAG Awards

“Parasite” took home the Screen Actors Guild (SAG) Award for Outstanding Performance by a Cast in a Motion Picture, the top prize in the SAG’s marquee film category. Marking the first time a foreign-language film has won in this section, “Parasite” only continues writing itself into film history books as it receives some of the most prestigious nominations and awards no foreign film has before. 

“The victory at the SAG awards bodes well for “Parasite”’s Oscar chances,” said Aileen Kim (11), self-proclaimed film nerd. “However, it does not translate into a guaranteed win nor change the fact that none of its cast members were nominated for individual acting awards. Asian actors and actresses will hopefully no longer remain largely invisible and unworthy of recognition in the years to come as foreign films like “Parasite” garner recognition.”

Ambassadors perform at Mr. Kim’s Wedding

Ambassadors volunteers attended swimming coach Ji Min Kim’s wedding on Jan. 18. After a month of biweekly practice, the group performed “Thinking Out Loud” by Ed Sheeran, an ever increasingly popular ballad for bridal waltzes.  

“This was perhaps the most special performance we have given in the history of the SIS choir department,” said Ji Sue Shin (11), ambassador member. “As nerve-racking as it was to have performed at a major event on a month’s notice, my fellow singers and I thoroughly enjoyed every second of harmonizing.”

HSSC Snackcart returns with new menu

On Jan. 13, HSSC rebooted its Snackcart for the new school year. Ranging from fried dumplings to cereal to nachos with salsa, the Snackcart returned with enticing new items. Three new set menus—the Breakfast Combo, the I-Have-a-Summative-Next-Period Combo, and the Fiesta Combo—were also revealed and will be available for the first 25 minutes of office hours.

“We put together a new menu consisting of delectable goods for reasonable prices,” said Steven Chung (11), HSSC officer. “Although the items aren’t of the best nutritional value, they can help provide the burst of energy and motivation that most students are in dire need of, especially after countless sleepless nights.”