Super blue moon sparks academic hope

source%3A+Pexels
Lucas Pezeta
source: Pexels

The last full moon of the month, titled the “rare super blue moon,” dazzled spectators worldwide on Aug. 30. Contrary to popular belief, the blue moon did not have even the slightest tinge of blue. Its title comes from being the second full moon of the month

This particular blue moon corresponds with the Hindu festival Raksha Bandhan, which celebrates the bond between brothers and sisters. The term “Raksha Bandhan” translates to “the bond of protection, obligation, or care.”

The viewing began on Wednesday 9:36 p.m EST and lasted through Friday morning.   

A common misconception regarding the full moon is that it grants wishes, and this was especially the case this year as it was a super blue moon. Some students at SIS seized this opportunity for good luck on their upcoming exams.

“I wished for a good score on the AP World History test when I saw the blue moon,” Sarah Kim (10), AP World History student, said.

Perhaps the best advice during this event—when it occurs again in 2037—is to let go of one’s grudges, especially sibling-related ones.