SIS hosts Forensics KAIAC

On Jan. 19-20, SIS held the first Forensics tournament of 2024. The competition was a long-awaited event by both organizers and participants. The last time that our school had hosted the event was a year ago, so the team and the organizers were determined to show the participants just how well SIS could host the event compared to other schools.

Students of the Forensics team took hold of a sense of pride, honor, and duty as this was their home turf, determined to win at all costs. While all members volunteered for set up and timing, many of the participants had also competed in the speech tournament on the 19th and the debate tournament on the 20th. With some students even competing in two categories per day, they had responsibilities of up to 3 different categories at once. The opposition was harsh but the school team maintained vigilance and persevered.

“So what I think about the previous tournament is that I as an individual considering that I got 2nd place in Impromptu”, commented Charlotte Kim (9) “but in terms of the tournament I think we did quite well, 2nd place is commendable, yet it could have been better”.

The speech tournament on Friday had a great run with Cherlin Kim (12) winning first place in Original Oratory and others like Leah Kim (9), Grace Lee (10), Jason Shin (11), Rachel Jeong (12), Stella Chae (12), and Alyssa Lee (12) placing finalist and up. Almost all of its members had participated in one way or another, some being double-entered.

The debate tournament also had much participation and school spirit from its members. As the final KAIAC for the contest for the tournament award, students tried their best. Jian Hong (10) and Jason Lee (11) secured first place in the Parliamentary debate category for the debate team, as well as Stella Ock (9) and Jason Shin (11) placing second in the Public Forum category. This success placed SIS in 2nd place overall for the entire tournament, with KIS coming in first and Chadwick coming in third, replacing YISS.

The next tournament is planned to be held at Chadwick in March. SIS plans to win the last tournament of the year and with it the KAIAC Conference 1st place.