Tensions escalate after Kim Jong Un announces North Korea will no longer pursue unification goals with South Korea

Source: Military Times

North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un declared that the country will abandon reconciliation with South Korea in the Supreme People’s Assembly in Pyongyang on Jan. 15. 

Recently, tensions between North and South Korea began to rise rapidly after North Korea test-fired a ballistic missile and later fired hundreds of artillery shells near the western sea border. The South Korean government condemned these provocative tests, accusing the North of initiating a “fight.”

“I am in shock at the current situation,” Sylvia Lee (10), a student following the relationship between the two countries, said. “It is quite scary that they are testing more and more weapons especially because their intentions are very clear.”

North Korea’s military also claimed that they have been testing underwater nuclear weapons. In defense, South Korea, the US, and Japan jointly conducted naval drills involving the USS Carl Vinson nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, following Pyongyang’s latest launch of a hypersonic missile.

“I feel that North Korea testing missiles is not an ideal situation in the world,” Steve Nave, World History teacher, said. “I do not think it is to the point yet where the world will be affected. It is definitely something that the UN and surrounding countries need to monitor.”

Some analysts are concerned that North Korea’s latest actions justify the use of nuclear weapons in future wars. 

Yoon Suk-Yeol, South Korea’s president, claimed that South Korea would respond on a “multiplied” scale against North Korea’s measures. According to the South Korean government, Yoon had announced this statement publicly to relieve citizens from worrying about the possibility of war.

“Again, at this point, I do not see war as a possibility,” Mr. Nave said. “Kim understands that while he may have a few missiles, going to war with South Korea would invoke the UN and he knows that he cannot compete in war with South Korea and the US. I believe he is doing this more for domestic respect to keep his people believing that they are a world power than trying to start a war with South Korea.”