Youtuber Jin Jarim under scrutiny for unethical sales

Image Source: WikiTree

Popular YouTuber and streamer Jin Ja-rim faced backlash after announcing on Jan. 13 that she would be opening her own Tanghulu shop next to the popular Tagulu chain Wangga Tanghulu. 

Initially, the streamer announced her plans for a Tanghulu business because she appreciated the taste of Tanghulu and wanted others to experience it. The excitement quickly turned into controversy as fans believed it was unethical for a mega-influencer to open a store that would hurt existing businesses by selling the same food items.

She faced even more backlash when news broke of her lying to real estate agents and nearby store owners, claiming that her store would be a dessert cafe with Tanghulu as a part of a more extensive menu. In reality, the YouTuber named her store “Hwansang Tanghulu,” meaning Fantasy Tanghulu store. 

“I lost a lot of respect for Jin Ja-rim,” Liam Lee (11), avid YouTube user, said. “When it comes to her content, I think it was pretty harmless as she appealed a lot to the younger audience whether it be her word choices or content direction. With this controversy, many of those viewers may also feel similar to me.”

On Jan. 18, the 22-year-old released a position statement, apologizing for her shortcomings. She clarified that a list of YouTubers and celebrities who could work part-time at her store for marketing was just her wishes and not related to anyone on the list. She still noted that she did not lie to any real estate agents regarding what type of store she would be opening.

Ultimately, Jin Ja-rim announced that she would not be starting a Tanghulu store in that location. Yet, the controversy surrounding her store has also led to a more general discussion about business ethics, competition, and the impact of social media influencers on local businesses. 

While critics have argued that stores opening next to each other would hurt businesses in the long run, some believe that Jin Ja-rim’s store would have been only a temporary success. 

“Her store would only prosper in the short-term,” Sean Koo (12), AP Economics student, said. “Sure, many fans will go to her store in the beginning, but slowly consumers will return to the other store as it’s a franchise of Wangga Tanghulu, Korea’s best-selling Tanghulu branch. Essentially, the influencer buff can fade shortly as fans visit just for an opportunity to see the streamer.”