China causes global tensions over fishing rights near Taiwan Sea Border

On Feb 20, Chinese Destroyers of the PRN caused mass global panic globally when they allegedly fired upon Western tourist boats entering the waters near Taiwan, yet another example of uncalled aggression by Chinese military forces in the South China Sea. A few days earlier from this incident, Chinese Navy warships had once again violated internationally set borders as well as sovereignty rights when they rammed and shot at Taiwanese fishing boats operating in Taiwanese waters. Such events are from a long stream of conflicts that started last year when the Taiwanese Coast Guard chased two Chinese fishing boats that had violated international borders.

“Considering that it’s China we’re talking about I’m not really surprised that this happened,” Yool Choi (9), global events enthusiast, said. “Those guys will never accept Taiwanese sovereignty if that’s the last thing they do.”

This had come at a time when China had started to expand its naval power in and around the South China Sea. Tensions were further accelerated when China decided to use Taiwanese territorial waters as testing ground for their new aircraft carrier, a growing sign that China is extensively modernizing. This sudden and extensive show of force has caught the attention of people worldwide, mainly causing fear of another coming war.

“I think that this may turn into a real and full-blown conflict,” Anders Kim (10), China related events enthusias , said. “Luckily, China currently hasn’t gone that far yet, but I sense that the conflict is at its tipping point.”

His concerns reflect those of people around the world. With the world already reeling from a war in Europe and in the Middle East there is no telling what damage a third could do, many hoping that another of such large-scale conflicts is avoidable. Equally concerning is the fact that the Philippines may get involved as well, as shown by recent political moves from the Filipino government.

The US has recently taken action as well, trying to resolve the situation diplomatically by conducting talks with all parties involved. In general, it is hoped that this crisis will be resolved in a peaceful matter, without having to take extreme measures, as previous events have increased this chance. Just a month earlier on Feb 19, the US Air Force had conducted a joint military exercise with the Philippines Air Force, fielding a B-52 Starfortress strategic bomber and many Fa-50 fighters respectively. Despite this show of Force China seems to be relatively unfazed, rather it seems to be increasing the number of illegal infringments in international and territorial waterways. All we can hope for now is that both sides will back down their claims.