Golf Varsity goes rounding

“Practice makes perfect” is what Dr. Steven Nave had in mind when he created the Tiger Cup. Last week, the golf varsity commenced its first Tiger Cup tournament at Rock Garden Golf Club, with the goal of constant improvement before the 2024 fall golf season. A total of fourteen golfers participated in the game, splitting into a total of four groups. The entire course was played twice since the Rock Garden Club only had nine holes available at the time, which is half of the standard number of holes. This particular round served as a much-needed reminder for a number of the varsity golf athletes.

“I had no clue how fickle the game of golf is, ” Joonho Kim (10), Coach’s Choice Award Recipient and golf varsity member, said. “I haven’t really been practicing since the golf season and this Tiger Cup round really made me cognizant of how quickly my golf game can deteriorate.”

Joonho Kim’s sentiments were shared with a vast majority of the other golfers who partook in the Rock Garden tournament. Many claimed to have performed considerably worse after the prolonged break from the golf scene. The golf outing also gave aspiring varsity golfers a quick run-through of how the varsity team worked and provided them with the opportunity to compare their skills with the current varsity athletes.

“I was pleasantly surprised when I found out that I actually scored better than some of the golf varsity members,” Alex Jeong (10), aspiring golf varsity member, said. “This golf rounding really helped me gauge their skills and compare it to mine.”

The Tiger Cup is far from over. With the overarching goal of steady development, the varsity golf team plans to return next year stronger than ever, setting high expectations for themselves as they continue to hone their skills through regular practice and competition.