Where, Wear Edition 3: Homage to Oscar de la Renta

[LS-COLUMN]-Where-Wear---Issue-3.5---Draft-5---Myong-Claire-Yun-and-Heejin-E-Hong

A modern day Cinderella could not wish for a better fairy godmother than Oscar de la Renta. The silky fabric of his gowns flows with smooth, elegant curves, shining in the spotlight on the red carpet. The designer is a household name for all fashion people, and is frequently worn by celebrities such as Sarah Jessica Parker and by first ladies throughout the decades such as Lady Laura Bush, Jacqueline Kennedy, Nancy Reagan and Cindy McCain. This issue we’d like to deviate from our coverage of fashion trends to pay homage to a man whose pieces are more of a standard than a temporary fad; his works are timeless and unchanging. Since the start of his clothing line in the late 1960s to his passing on Oct. 20, De la Renta devoted his entirety to designing the most beautiful gowns. From his ivory lace wedding dress to his ball gown with his scarlet John Hancock embroidered, De la Renta has experimented with creativity while maintaining the classic, orthodox beauty of dresses. His pieces caused the hearts of many to throb; although we can no longer see his works of art, Oscar de la Renta will be forever remembered.