SIS establishes new work-study system

Gray Macklin, the work-study supervisor, brought new changes to the work-study program this year. Changes to the program include tasks assigned to students to help them reach their personal goals. Mr. Macklin envisions the work-study program becoming more productive for both students and teachers. 

“I think the big change to work-study this year is that it has a written curriculum like all other courses in the high school now,” Mr. Macklin, Vice-Principal and head of work-study, said. “That means each unit has standards, essential questions, and transfer goals. This happened because it is a credit-bearing class. I believe work-study could teach students to also prepare for expectations outside of high school…Through the new changes, students could learn more about their strengths and weaknesses even outside of school. My hope is when students step into the outside world, they can reflect on something they read or accomplished in this course and find value from them.” 

Embracing the new changes, more students have been able to work on accomplishing their individual goals. With clearer objectives, students have been able to make personalized plans to meet their objectives. 

“I used to finish any assignment I was behind on through work-study periods,” Brandon Cho (12), a work-study for Ricky Green, head of physical education, said. “However, with the new system requiring us to set personal goals, I was able to establish my personal objectives and specific plans to meet them. As a senior, I hope to optimize my last year of work-study to strengthen the self-reliance and responsibility necessary for college.” 

Following the newly implemented system, teachers have assigned more student-focused projects besides typical tasks, such as printing copies and stapling materials. Among them is Jared Rock, Communications and English teacher, who established a work-study group helping with designing classroom materials, such as wall posters. 

“My work-study work has a daily needed work base of having the work-study maintain whiteboards, make paper copies needed for class, and other daily needs,” Mr. Rock said. “At the same time, I like to assign more long-term projects focusing on students’ areas of interest. For example, a student interested in design has helped me with designing classroom posters and animating slides for PowerPoint presentations. I hope to continue assigning more student-interest-related projects that could strengthen their independent work and make work-study time more rewarding for them.” 

With definite goals, students are more productively utilizing their work-study time than they did before. In response to the new system, some students have also applied their academic strength to practical use, fostering a better learning environment next to improving individual growth. 

“Making posters and designing slides were opportunities for me to see how much I can contribute to the school community with my artistic abilities,”Eileen Kim (12), a work-study for Mr. Rock, said. “I am looking forward to experimenting more with various forms of media and seeking original ways to interact myself with teachers. Watching others achieve personal growth through work-study, I wish to do the same especially as a senior student in SIS.”