Injuries plague fall season

A series of injuries occurred during the first few weeks of the fall sports season. Many cross country and volleyball athletes have been seen wearing casts or crutches around school, leaving other students confused at the unprecedented number of injuries. 

“I feel bad for those athletes because their movement is restricted, preventing them from fully participating in practices,” Brian Lee (12), an observant student, said. “Also, injuring, especially your dominant hand or your legs, is extremely uncomfortable for us students who have to study and move around frequently.” 

Not only do the students have limited mobility, but the injuries also have a mental toll on students who have a strong passion for their sports. The disappointment of having to take a step back after returning from a year without any practices and tournaments lingers in the minds of injured athletes. 

“The effect goes beyond the mere inconvenience at home having to wear a brace everywhere, even while sleeping,” Philip Ham (11), an injured volleyball player, said. “It is especially annoying knowing that it was a very avoidable injury, so I could have been playing on the court instead of joining practices on the sidelines.”

Amidst injured athletes expressing discomfort, some students started to notice the increased number of accidents compared to previous years. The reason behind this phenomenon is ambiguous, but some attributable changes include the prolonged COVID era, irregular practice schedules, excitement of returning to practices, or a combination of all. 

“I pulled my back muscle when trying to lift weights,” Yoonseo Kim (11), a volleyball player for the boys varsity team, said. “I was working out and using the leg press to get back into shape for this season because I was inactive for the past year. I think I got hurt trying to rush the process.” 

Coaches observed minor differences in practices as well. A slightly higher number of students had minor injuries such as shin splints, ankle injuries, and knee pain. 

“With COVID and having a year off of sports, I suppose most athletes were not in shape,” Ashlee Davis, cross country coach at SIS, said. “With exceptions, athletes went from having minimal movement for a year to practicing four to five days a week for two hours a day.”

The school is taking measures to avoid further injuries by reducing the number of practices. Jonathan Ames, the athletics and activities director, announced that the regular four practices per week would be cut down to three practices per week. 

“Student athletes should focus on stretching before and after practices to avoid injuries,” Coach Davis said. “Minor habits can change a lot. Coaches can also implement those changes into practices.”